Thursday, April 30, 2015

Figuring out Costly Medical Bills

Understanding an “Explanation of Benefit” statement can be confusing. I sort through my own family’s statements and after a careful look over I can usually figure it out. If I can’t, I make a phone call to the insurance company or medical office. I’m typically at all of the medical visits so I know which exam and procedures were performed.  But when it comes to my parents, I find myself shaking my head and becoming frustrated over their statements.

My parents tell me they’re trying to figure it out. They typically go in person to the medical center.  I have never understood why they just can’t make a phone call, but they like to go in person. Both my mom and dad have Spanish accents and when I suggest they get a Spanish speaking person to speak with, they tell me it’s even more difficult to understand.

According to my dad’s EOB one chemotherapy infusion costs $60,000 and he has had six infusions.
It breaks down to each drug administered, lab chemistry, IV therapy and therapeutic services and these services are listed several times. I realize that the EOB is NOT a bill, but when my parents got the actual bill from the medical center it is for more than their total out-of-pocket expense. When I called the insurance company the woman told me I had to call the medical center. When I called them they told me that’s all the insurance company was going to pay and my father could set up payments to pay the rest. This did not make any sense to me since I believe that the total out-of-pocket expense means my parents don’t have to pay more than that.  I asked for an itemized bill to be sent.

I’m learning how important it is to check your EOB against your medical bill. There are now careers that focus on helping the patient figure out their bill. On the website http://www.medicalrecoveryservices.org there is a cool infographic regarding high medical bills and information on how to fight them.
Why Are Medical Bills So High? And How You Can Fight Them

Medical bill advocates make money when they save the patient money. Their salary is a percentage of what they save the client. When should you get help? A blog from nerdwallet.com has some answers.

Bills, especially medical bills can cause anyone’s stress level to rise. And these days there are so many errors made by the medical center and insurance company. When I get the itemized bill for my father I hope I can figure it all out.  I have a feeling the answer may not be good enough for me.

Note: "When Good Enough is Perfect" NEVER comes into play for my professional or school work.

No comments:

Post a Comment