Thursday, April 2, 2015

The perfect burial site


There comes a time when a decision must be made on where a loved one’s body will be buried.  Sometimes it comes without any notice.  Other times the person whose body will be buried can be a part of the planning. 

Eternal Hills
Lush green manicured lawns with rolling hills and a sweeping breeze from the Pacific Ocean.  Beautiful I thought.  On the website, Eternal Hills is described as “An ideal location to remember a life well lived.”  Nice slogan.  Another statement on the website says, "Planing your final arrangements in advance is one of the greatest gifts you can give to your family."


For the last few months my mother has been asking me to choose a plot for her for when she passes.  My father has made the choice to be cremated and 18 months ago when he was diagnosed with cancer, my mom chose a final resting place for his ashes at Eternal Hills.  My mother is not one to keep ashes in an urn on top of the mantle. 

Now, she has decided she also wants to be at Eternal Hills but not next to my dad’s ashes, which will rest in a mausoleum.  She wants to be in the beautiful grass with a tombstone close to the mausoleum where my dad will be.  But, she tells me, “I don’t want to know exactly where it is because I will have nightmares.”  That's why I have to make the decision. 

When we arrived at the cemetery, Jacqueline met with us and discussed my mother’s options.  She drove us around in a golf cart showing us different locations.  As we drove by grieving families at various gravesites, I imagined what it would be like for our family when the time comes. 

I applaud my mother for thinking ahead but I’m struggling as to where to place her lifeless body.  Will she like it?  My dad says he doesn’t want any part of the decision making.  I tried pleading with him, "Mom picked your spot, don't you want to pick hers?"  It didn't work.  So whatever plot I choose will have to be good enough.  I really don’t think there is a perfect spot.  Besides, I believe it’s just a body; an outer shell and her soul will be in a better place.  I pray, that the years will pass before the plot will actually get some use.

Note: "When Good Enough is Perfect" NEVER comes into play for my professional or school work.

No comments:

Post a Comment