Thursday, April 9, 2015

We All Need a Break

I think many of us know we need to take the time to recharge are batteries for the sake of our sanity, but how many of us actually do it?  Part of playing the balancing act in this "Sandwich Generation" is taking the time to relax and recharge so that we can be our best.  I recently had spring break from a graduate course that I'm taking.  You would think that would be a good time to pause and rejuvenate.  But since my kids had a modified school schedule that same week, I didn't get much of a break. 

Now they are in the middle of their two week spring break.  I never got two weeks off for spring break.... not during my early education years or college years.  But we are in a "laid back" school district where yoga classes are offered and the students get two weeks off for fall break and two weeks for spring break.  Maybe our current school district knows something about recharging for better productivity.

With work in the way, our family only took an extended weekend 120 miles to the north of us.  We enjoyed Universal Studios, the La Brea Tar Pits, walking around Beverly Hills and swimming in the hotel pool.  But for a working mom with young children and aging parents it didn't seem too relaxing.

With so many responsibilities, one needs self care and some pampering.  An About Health article found the benefits of self care.  The benefits include revitalization inside and out, a reduction in chronic stress, and becoming a better caretaker.

With that in mind, the girls and I got a manicure.  And since they were on vacation they wanted treats.  I baked up some brownies and scones.  The aroma of chocolate and baked goods makes me happy and warm inside. I definitely don't feel any stress when baking yummy goodies.

I found a blog post listing 10 reasons why stress baking is actually a great way to relieve stress.  I'm sold.  Before the week is up, I may bake a cake, pie and definitely cookies. 

Note: "When Good Enough is Perfect" NEVER comes into play for my professional or school work.



No comments:

Post a Comment